Thursday, November 15, 2012

Halloween 2012 (better late then never)

Now that halloween has come and gone, I keep thinking about the events that led up to halloween and I'm realizing how crazy busy that time was for the Burgett home here in Chicago.

A week before halloween, we took a trip to Sea Island Georgia. That post is coming up!

Right after we got home we couldn't even think about halloween yet because we had to make sure we celebrated Oliver's first Birthday! He is bigger and walking and oh so cute. We had amazing cupcakes from our favorite bakery who made an awesome Elmo smash cake, that Oliver did indeed smash! I didn't take smash cake pictures, but I did take pictures of his cute face all that day.
After the cake mashing
 
 
 


Once that was out of the way, we went into Halloween mode. First step: Pumpkins:


Back in the beginning of October we had planned on getting a good bunch of pumpkins because we/I wanted to put a jack o lantern on each one of the steps outside.
 



They have the perfect porch for jack o lanterns. So we set out to get supplies from Joann's and then didn't think about it again until the 25th or so. Once we got home we just kept buying pumpkins. Every time we went to the store we would come home with a cart full.

I Don't think I have ever carved that many pumpkins in my entire life. I broke the record for sure. We tried all sorts of Martha Stewarty/pinteresty things and I think they turned out pretty amazing!


 



 I carved all the way through halloween weekend up until halloween day. It was A lot of work but it was so so worth it. It made me feel like I was at home with family, which I was, Just my Chicago family this time. The halloween decorations outside turned out to be really awesome as well. They had a bunch of stuff left over from last halloween that we put up, and we also ordered a really cool spider web and cat.


we also had this really cool fog machine that blew fogged bubbles. When the bubble popped, you got fogged! so cool!
 

While I was doing pumpkin palooza, we were also getting ready for an originally decided low key kids halloween party, since Natalia didn't want to go all out and do a big halloween/birthday party for Oliver. We planned the party for Lucas and all of his friends before they went trick or treating, and Initially we were just going to do treats and spooky chotchkeys in the basement for them, but when Natalia and put heads together....we get a little out of control. And by a little I mean a lot! Our party morphed into a scary witches room that you had to get to through a fogged up basement hallway. The stairs in our house are insane and there is this big pot at the bottom of the stairs, so we just stuck the fog machine in it and the fog brewed out of it. It looked so spooooooky!
We had all sorts of treats, from mummy hot dogs and mummy pizza, bones n blood (bread sticks and marinara sauce), to caremel apples and we even did mummy juice!

 

 Brownie, and Rice Crispie treats


This was the table in the basement. We converted the ping pong table into a witches table
 some of the decorations


SKULLS
We had a lot of fun planning this party. A lot of the moms brought food too, so there was an endless amount of fun treats and games to be played. The boys loved it. They all left with full bellies and party favors.
 
 
I loved having Halloween in Chicago. I only wish that my friends were here. Trick or treating in this city is so exciting and there are so many things going on that it would be so fun to go with all my Los G's. Next year I will be in Utah, so hopefully the party rocking can commence.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment