Saturday, May 18, 2013

Heels Off!


"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work."



Recently, while learning my second trick at Trapeze School, I have come to realize something about myself. I have wanted to do this for a really long time. 

I remember the first time I went to the Circus at Utah Valley University (UVSC at the time). I was like 7 years old, and I was with my little sister and the neighbor girl across the street who had invited us to go along. Circus outings were a rare occasion in the valley, let alone in my family. My mom was thrilled that another parent was willing to cart her two youngest children around for the day. We went to the Mckay Events Center, parked, and as we walked up to the building we could see the elephants hanging out in the truck loading dock eating some hay. I was beyond amazed at the fact that there were just some random elephants chillin  outside in good old Orem Utah. We took our seats in the gym which was of course transformed into the Ringling brothers circus, we had excellent seats, and I gazed awestruck at the opening scene of the show.

TRAPEZE.

I remember there was a family of trapeze artists, flying through the air, catching each other by their legs, swinging back and forth, and over each other. The youngest son flipped like 6 times before he caught his dad on the other side of the rig. So amazing. I not only experienced new and wild things that day, rode an elephant, and ate popcorn until my stomach burst, but I witnessed something that has stuck with me since then. I never really realized why I always remembered that circus day so much. I am a true believer that if you remember something, especially something so long ago, and so vividly, that its because you are meant to remember it.

Fast forward to last week and I am learning my newest trick. Well, the second trick that you learn at TSNY.

One of the things that I really like about this school, is that they take pictures of you while you are practicing. 





That way you can have a keepsake, or refer to them for future form corrections.
For example:









Also, the staff is really fun.
Everyone wants you to get better so that you can hang out with them on staff only fly classes. I can't wait until I am good enough to join Shawn here:



Until then I will keep on Practicing.



And practicing... 




and practicing.. 





Here is the trick that I learned last week.


HEELS OFF:

Basically you put your heels on the bar, then flip backward in a backflip type motion towards the catcher. It seemed really complicated at first, but once I had practiced it a few times, I realized how much easier and quicker it was to learn than the Knee Hang trick.



This Trick is hard to master, the timing has to be just right, or you will miss the catcher.



But once you get it right, It looks pretty awesome!



This is a few days later after I had it down perfectly:



This week I started learning what is called "The Straddle". Its crazy hard for me, and I think it will take me a few times to get right.

Here is a preview:


Wish me luck!






1 comment:

  1. I can't even believe you do this! I mean I can because you're Heather and do awesome things. But wow! Seriously, what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete